Skip to main content

Cough Syrup Man


           Last week I read Mariano’s blog post about how riding the bus was a terrible experience saved only by an amazing bus driver. I realized that my first experience had been nearly the opposite; it was an amazing time tarnished only by the bus driver. Maybe I’m being too harsh on the man, after all we barely noticed him most of the time and he was only human. I’ll let you judge him yourself.
            For some context, this was when I was in 8th grade in England. I had never ridden the bus before since I used to live close to my school. This new school was pretty far from my house so I had to take the public bus. Going to a new school in a foreign country was terrifying, but the other kids on the bus took me in. As we spent more time together, we became best friends.
I would often dread school, but the bus ride there and the bus ride home were highlights of my day. We would sit either in the very back of the bus or on the top deck (yes they were double-decker buses) and eat snacks, look at memes, yell at each other, and generally be idiots. The fact that I was taking the bus home also gave me ample opportunity to mess around outside or go to friends’ houses before going home. It was thrilling to run amok without having to constantly update my parents on what I was doing.
The driver who blemished these excellent days was a big South African man with a heavy accent and a paperboy hat. On mornings when we were crowded up to the front of the bus, we would watch him chug a strange liquid from a brown bottle, then shake intensely like he was having a seizure. Once, he looked back to see our shocked faces. With a grin and a chuckle, he said, “Bit of whiskey eh? Haha, nah. It’s cough syrup,” as if that made it better. In case you didn’t know, cough syrup can have hallucinogenic properties when you pound it straight from the bottle. That day was the most I ever feared for my life on a bus.
I’ve talked to my friends back in England and they haven’t seen him lately. Cough syrup man, if you’re out there, I hope you’re in rehab.

Comments

  1. Wow. Cough syrup man will be a great story to tell the grand kids. I really enjoyed reading this, it was one of those stories that's weird enough that it takes a second to remember things like this actually happen in the real world. I never realized the bus could be the birthplace of so many interesting stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This guy sounds like an oddball character that would be in a comedy sketch or something. I wonder if he drank the cough syrup for its drug properties or because he actually had a cough. It does seem kinda scary, though. On the bright side, at least you never got in an accident when he was driving, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is my second favorite of your England stories, and it has always made me simultaneously want to chug cough syrup and never drink cough syrup. although i wonder if it actually was whiskey but when he saw your reactions he played it off as the first thing that came to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That guy is like laugh-track tv show material.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad I inspired this post, definitely a fun one to read. Also glad I was privileged enough to have a fantastic bus driver. That guy sounds wack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you talked about this dude during practices, I didn't realize that he was like your regular bus driver. That's really concerning. I enjoyed the imagery that you employed when describing him drinking the syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Henry, this is a really interesting post. It's interesting how we often remember the "special" characters while in school as opposed to the mundane ones. I wonder how we would react in 2018 America to "cough syrup man". Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is unbelievable. Did any of you guys end up actually reporting this dude, because entrusting the lives of a bus full of children in a dude downing cough syrup doesn't seem like a good idea. This was a funny story though, the part where he joked about driving drunk cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Wonderful Weekend

           Most of you have probably had the experience of losing something important. Maybe it was your wallet, your phone, or your dad’s car keys. You went through all the stages: first the initial realization when your heart drops into your stomach, then the panic, and finally the frantic searching.             Perhaps fewer of you have had the experience of having something important stolen. In some ways, it is better to have something stolen. Instead of taking responsibility for your irresponsibility, you can pin all the blame on someone else. Your feelings of guilt and shame for having done something so stupid can turn into anger towards someone else. It’s always easier to fault other people than it is to fault yourself. As nice as blame-shifting is, having something stolen from you is also much worse than losing something in a few obvious ways. The tried-and-true method of retracing your steps will no longer work since you do not know whose steps to retrace. It’s harder to r

Why I Do Dumb Stuff All The Time

If you go to Uni, you’ve probably had the experience of seeing me do something stupid. You may have thought to yourself, “Why did he do that? Has he no shame?” In reverse order, the answers to those questions are: I have no shame, and I probably did it on a dare. It would take forever to list every development that led me to become the idiot I am today, but I will try to explain some of it in one post. I used to get annoyed at my little brother. Sometimes there would be real annoyances, like when we first shared a room. He refused to sleep unless a light was on, and he constantly asked me nonsensical questions like, “what are tigers for?” Other times I’d get very angry over small things he did. If he chewed with his mouth open, refused to blow his nose, or talked too loudly around me, it could send me into a screaming fit. I don’t know exactly why I had such issues with him. Maybe the small things he did annoyed me so much because my parents would let him get away with them while