Skip to main content

I Love Shrek, It's a Great Film, Please Watch Shrek


            Dreamworks’ Shrek is one of my favorite films. (If you haven’t seen it, spoiler alert, don’t read this post. Drop everything and watch it in its entirety.) There are many reasons I like Shrek so much, not the least of which is the memes that it is the subject of. The film has more to it than a few meme-able moments, however.
            The characters in Shrek are well-developed and three-dimensional. They challenge the archetypes of fairytale characters. For example, the main protagonist who rescues the princess is not a generic “prince charming,” but rather an ogre named Shrek. The prince, Lord Farquad, on the other hand, is comically short and has bad facial hair. The viewer, however, is allowed to see past the exteriors of these characters. In a famous scene, Shrek states that, “ogres are like onions.” Shrek has layers: beneath his mean, ugly exterior is a lonely soul with emotions just like us. Lord Farquad, the prince, has layers as well: beneath his princely exterior is a vindictive, greedy asshole. These two characters turn traditional archetypes on their heads. Instead of the prince saving the day from the evil monster, the beast with a heart of gold struggles against a dickhead nobleman.
            A fascinating challenge to the conventions of fairytales would fall flat with poor acting. Fortunately, the cast of Shrek delivers an excellent performance. Mike Myers’s comedic ability brings his character, Shrek, to life, but he also portrays Shrek’s vulnerability in a way that few other actors can. Cameron Diaz’s performance as the unorthodox Princess Fiona is equally interesting; capturing the princess’s brazen and aloof nature as well as her secretive and insecure side. Of course, I cannot overstate the importance of Eddie Murphy’s performance as Donkey. His delivery and mannerisms make the comedic relief work. If you don’t believe me, watch a dub of Shrek in another language. Donkey is not nearly as funny without him.
            Finally, I love the soundtrack of the movie. In addition a featured performance by the renowned rock band Smash Mouth, it includes tracks by other fantastic artists such as The Proclaimers and Joan Jett. One of the movies most emotional scenes, in which Shrek and Fiona each feel that the other has betrayed them, is accompanied by Rufus Wainwright’s chilling cover of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah.” The film also contains a memorable original score.
            Shrek is a movie with layers. Its appeal goes beyond its comedy: it challenges the viewer’s expectations, it has interesting characters and amazing acting, and it is perfected by a memorable soundtrack. If you need more convincing, here’s rapper Yung Lean’s ode to the masterpiece. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxyUTipNqCQ

Comments

  1. Beautiful. Simply marvelous. Shrek is one of the few things on this mundane planet of ours that really truly packs emotion, comedy, and pure, genuine POWER in no more than one hour and 35 minutes. Your blog was clearly well thought out, and exemplified this with your passion. Thank you so much for sharing. I'm moved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, the soundtrack is one of the best parts of Shrek. It seems like almost all of the song selection is perfect. Aside from that, I agree that the movie is genuinely hilarious.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nk7y6c1Tow -- here is a video about why Shrek 2 is the perfect sequel. I think that Shrek 2 on its own is as great a movie as the original, but the two together paint an epic tale of romance and comedy. You should check out the video, it's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is more than a blog post, this is art. Shrek is one of the only true remaining art forms in the world. with so many things going wrong, we always will have Shrek as something pure, and as a lantern to guide us back to the correct path.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't expect to read something so interesting when I clicked on the Shrek blog post. While I admire your interpretations/ observations on how Shrek challenges modern archetypes, I think that truthfully without memes you never would have come to appreciate Shrek nearly much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Sam here. Given how many princess movies I was stuck watching (I had a younger sister who loved them), it was really nice to come across a movie that follows the same archetype but with a huge twist. I really appreciate the homage to one of the greatest movies of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful analysis. I've always loved watching Shrek but could never put my finger on what exactly I liked about it. They do a great job, like you said, with developing the characters. I also love that the comedy suits people of all ages since they manage to sneak some pretty suspect jokes. It's a classic and I totally agree that everyone should watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow.... You put a lot of thought into Shrek didn't you? And I don't mean that in a bad way; Shrek is a work of art. Even though Shrek is like an onion with many layers to peel before you reach the beauty and amazingness that is within, and this post did a great job highlighting those portions for us. Last note, the Youtube link at the end? It was priceless, so thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cough Syrup Man

           Last week I read Mariano’s blog post about how riding the bus was a terrible experience saved only by an amazing bus driver. I realized that my first experience had been nearly the opposite; it was an amazing time tarnished only by the bus driver. Maybe I’m being too harsh on the man, after all we barely noticed him most of the time and he was only human. I’ll let you judge him yourself.             For some context, this was when I was in 8 th grade in England. I had never ridden the bus before since I used to live close to my school. This new school was pretty far from my house so I had to take the public bus. Going to a new school in a foreign country was terrifying, but the other kids on the bus took me in. As we spent more time together, we became best friends. I would often dread school, but the bus ride there and the bus ride home were highlights of my day. We would sit either in the very back of the bus or on the top deck (yes they were double-decker buses) an

My Wonderful Weekend

           Most of you have probably had the experience of losing something important. Maybe it was your wallet, your phone, or your dad’s car keys. You went through all the stages: first the initial realization when your heart drops into your stomach, then the panic, and finally the frantic searching.             Perhaps fewer of you have had the experience of having something important stolen. In some ways, it is better to have something stolen. Instead of taking responsibility for your irresponsibility, you can pin all the blame on someone else. Your feelings of guilt and shame for having done something so stupid can turn into anger towards someone else. It’s always easier to fault other people than it is to fault yourself. As nice as blame-shifting is, having something stolen from you is also much worse than losing something in a few obvious ways. The tried-and-true method of retracing your steps will no longer work since you do not know whose steps to retrace. It’s harder to r

Why I Do Dumb Stuff All The Time

If you go to Uni, you’ve probably had the experience of seeing me do something stupid. You may have thought to yourself, “Why did he do that? Has he no shame?” In reverse order, the answers to those questions are: I have no shame, and I probably did it on a dare. It would take forever to list every development that led me to become the idiot I am today, but I will try to explain some of it in one post. I used to get annoyed at my little brother. Sometimes there would be real annoyances, like when we first shared a room. He refused to sleep unless a light was on, and he constantly asked me nonsensical questions like, “what are tigers for?” Other times I’d get very angry over small things he did. If he chewed with his mouth open, refused to blow his nose, or talked too loudly around me, it could send me into a screaming fit. I don’t know exactly why I had such issues with him. Maybe the small things he did annoyed me so much because my parents would let him get away with them while