Skip to main content

My Wonderful Weekend


           Most of you have probably had the experience of losing something important. Maybe it was your wallet, your phone, or your dad’s car keys. You went through all the stages: first the initial realization when your heart drops into your stomach, then the panic, and finally the frantic searching.
            Perhaps fewer of you have had the experience of having something important stolen. In some ways, it is better to have something stolen. Instead of taking responsibility for your irresponsibility, you can pin all the blame on someone else. Your feelings of guilt and shame for having done something so stupid can turn into anger towards someone else. It’s always easier to fault other people than it is to fault yourself. As nice as blame-shifting is, having something stolen from you is also much worse than losing something in a few obvious ways. The tried-and-true method of retracing your steps will no longer work since you do not know whose steps to retrace. It’s harder to recover stolen things.
            On Saturday I got to experience all of these feelings. My friends and I visited the middle school cross country meet to watch the subbies compete, and afterwards I went for a run with Aryan, my usual running buddy. We left our things out of the way next to a traffic cone. We figured we had little to worry about since we were in the middle of nowhere and almost everyone had left. Just to be safe, however, we left a note on the traffic cone which read, “Uni High XC: Went for a run, we’ll be back. Leave this stuff here.”
            After half an hour or so, the weather started to look nasty so we headed back. When we arrived, all of our things were gone. Aryan’s homework, wallet, clothes, and bag, along with my wallet, my phone, and my dad’s car keys (among other miscellaneous bananas and stuff) had vanished. We resisted the urge to panic. First we asked the two people remaining at the course if they had seen anything. They saw nothing. We still resisted the urge to panic. Aryan still had his phone, so we made some phone calls. We called our coach, who must have been busy. We called my phone, but no one answered. The sky opened up and started pouring rain. We found a small sheltered spot and called Aryan’s parents to get a ride home.
            I was not optimistic. My dad’s car was stranded in the middle of nowhere, and I’d lost my wallet, my phone, and everything in them. Suddenly, it hit me. I could use “find my iphone” to find my iphone, and everything else would probably be with it. I raced to the computer to check, and quickly located the device. It was at the offices of Gregg Rose, a local dentist and cross country coach at St. Matthew school, my alma mater.
            I hopped in the car and sped to his building. The door was unlocked, but the lights were off. From the far corner, I could see light coming from under a door and hear the rumbling of a conversation. I walked into the room to find Dr. Rose chatting with Mr. Mears, the athletic director of St. Matthew. He took one look at me and said, “Oh, are you here about the bananas and stuff? I was just about to send out an email.”
            “Yeah,” I replied, not being able to think of anything else to say.
            “It’s outside in the bed of my truck,” he told me.
            “Ok,” I said as I walked away. It didn’t occur to me how ridiculous the situation was. Having been in a complete stupor, I didn’t ask him any questions, so I’m not certain what happened. However, I will speculate about what happened and try to make as few assumptions as possible. First, he saw our stuff lying about unattended. Not reading the note next to it, he hauled it into the open bed of his pickup truck and drove to his office. Perhaps he was thinking it had been left behind accidentally, or perhaps he took it so he could keep it out of the coming rainstorm. He must not have heard the phone ringing, since it had been tossed in the bed of his truck. Then, he probably forgot to move the things inside, and instead left them in the rain. Alternatively, he may have thought there was nothing important in the two heavy bags he picked up, but instead just a bunch of bananas. After all, he did refer to them “bananas and stuff.”
            By the grace of God, all of our stuff was unharmed, albeit a bit wet. Don’t get me wrong though, I’m still mad. If our stuff had been left where it was, it would have been fine. We returned well before the rain began. Thanks to what must have been a series of bone-headed decisions, however, we instead had to track down our waterlogged items after a stressful hour of searching. Thanks, Dr. Rose.

Comments

  1. That does sound stressful. Did you ever wonder if he had seen the sign, and just took it as a practical joke? (because if that happened to me, I would TOTALLY assume that someone did it on purpose)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the thinking process behind the decision to take somebody stuff and just put it in you car, without even telling them where to get their stuff back is absurd. its just ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fuN fACt: I have been robbed! And it's as terrible as you describe. Mine kind of was my fault (pay attention to your surroundings not your revision email, kids), but the fear and immediate panic that comes with the realization that some unknown person is going through your stuff set in, violating your privacy—and I promptly lost my cool. Long story short, that was one of the worst days of my life and so I'm really glad that your story didn't end like mine—20$ short and sobbing on the bus. Great post, Henry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wait is this martin? if so, sorry. great post, martin!

      Delete
    2. Holy cow that sounds worse than mine! Also this is Henry but I hanged the name of the blog to confuse people

      Delete
  4. The other day I somehow managed to throw away my wallet, within a takeout bag from Panera, so I understand the feelings of panic and shame (who puts their wallet in the trash?) that you described above. (As a side note, I located my wallet.) I really like how you told this story; it was interesting and I'm glad you found your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's quite unfortunate Henry. I think Dr. Rose had good intentions, but didn't think hard enough about what he was doing. And for the situation that his trouble caused, you were surprisingly able to keep your cool, especially as he never apologized for taking your stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cough Syrup Man

           Last week I read Mariano’s blog post about how riding the bus was a terrible experience saved only by an amazing bus driver. I realized that my first experience had been nearly the opposite; it was an amazing time tarnished only by the bus driver. Maybe I’m being too harsh on the man, after all we barely noticed him most of the time and he was only human. I’ll let you judge him yourself.             For some context, this was when I was in 8 th grade in England. I had never ridden the bus before since I used to live close to my school. This new school was pretty far from my house so I had to take the public bus. Going to a new school in a foreign country was terrifying, but the other kids on the bus took me in. As we spent more time together, we became best friends. I would often dread school, but the bus ride there and the bus ride home were highlights of my day. We would sit either in the very back of the bus or on the top deck (yes they were double-decker buses) an

Why I Do Dumb Stuff All The Time

If you go to Uni, you’ve probably had the experience of seeing me do something stupid. You may have thought to yourself, “Why did he do that? Has he no shame?” In reverse order, the answers to those questions are: I have no shame, and I probably did it on a dare. It would take forever to list every development that led me to become the idiot I am today, but I will try to explain some of it in one post. I used to get annoyed at my little brother. Sometimes there would be real annoyances, like when we first shared a room. He refused to sleep unless a light was on, and he constantly asked me nonsensical questions like, “what are tigers for?” Other times I’d get very angry over small things he did. If he chewed with his mouth open, refused to blow his nose, or talked too loudly around me, it could send me into a screaming fit. I don’t know exactly why I had such issues with him. Maybe the small things he did annoyed me so much because my parents would let him get away with them while