Skip to main content

August 30th: Soundcloud Rap


On Tuesday night I had a very vivid dream. I remembered the premise of the dream after I woke up, along with a few details. This is rare for me, so I knew it must be an important dream. In my dream, the rapper Lil Pump died. He did not die of a drug overdose, a murder, or anything so sudden. He died of cancer over a period of several months. Everyone was overcome with sadness. People all over the world came together to support him and his family, whether they had been fans of his music or not.
When I woke up, I had to google him to make sure his Wikipedia page was still in the present tense. I exhaled deeply in relief when the search results said he had been arrested for driving without a license and not that he had died tragically. As the day went on, I took a step back to consider why this had been so important to me. I had never cared or even thought much about Lil Pump before. Besides that, I thought his music was terrible.
I came to two realizations about what my dream meant. The first was that regardless of whether I think someone is talented, their life still matters. No one should have to suffer through what Lil Pump suffered through in my dream.
The second realization was that we only have so much time to appreciate Lil Pump and other artists like him. They are part of a unique bubble genre called “soundcloud rap.” This style of music could not exist without the unusual society we live in, nor could it exist without the free and open internet on which it formed. Nothing quite like it has existed before, and nothing like it will ever exist again. The current generation of  “soundcloud rappers” will be the only one, and they may not be around much longer. Just in the past year XXXTentacion and Lil Peep, two well-known artists, died. Regardless of if you think it’s great or if you think it’s trash, you should give this unusual music a listen before it is buried under the next wave of trendy music and internet memes.

Comments

  1. I remember you telling me about this dream, and I find it funny that you remembered this dream in particular. And while the subject is a little absurd, I like that you connected it to a more serious theme. While this kind of music is treated like trash by a lot of people, and the artists who make it aren't taken seriously, they are real people and it's very sad that X and Lil Peep died this past year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really interesting dream, and I find the reaction it created in you, and even more the thoughts that evolved for you out of that reaction, interesting and meaningful. I think there's something to be said for checking out a subculture or sub-genre, even if you're pretty sure it will not be your cup of tea. First of all, you truly never know. And second, any example of culture is part of human life on this planet we share, and it never hurts to learn something about what our fellow humans are up to, even if those humans might seem inexplicable to us in certain ways. Many things that are inexplicable at first become much more comprehensible once we take the time to get to know them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very quick to write off music i don't like, so when i heard about all these rappers dying didn't really care because i knew nothing about them, but after reading this i will listen to some even if i am sure i wont be into it, it is always good to experience new music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post Henry! I agree that the art these people are producing is unique to our current society. We only have so much time to support and celebrate them, so we should give their music a shot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cough Syrup Man

           Last week I read Mariano’s blog post about how riding the bus was a terrible experience saved only by an amazing bus driver. I realized that my first experience had been nearly the opposite; it was an amazing time tarnished only by the bus driver. Maybe I’m being too harsh on the man, after all we barely noticed him most of the time and he was only human. I’ll let you judge him yourself.             For some context, this was when I was in 8 th grade in England. I had never ridden the bus before since I used to live close to my school. This new school was pretty far from my house so I had to take the public bus. Going to a new school in a foreign country was terrifying, but the other kids on the bus took me in. As we spent more time together, we became best friends. I would often dread school, but the bus ride there and the bus ride home were highlights of my day. We would sit either in the very back of the bus or on the top deck (yes they were double-decker buses) an

My Wonderful Weekend

           Most of you have probably had the experience of losing something important. Maybe it was your wallet, your phone, or your dad’s car keys. You went through all the stages: first the initial realization when your heart drops into your stomach, then the panic, and finally the frantic searching.             Perhaps fewer of you have had the experience of having something important stolen. In some ways, it is better to have something stolen. Instead of taking responsibility for your irresponsibility, you can pin all the blame on someone else. Your feelings of guilt and shame for having done something so stupid can turn into anger towards someone else. It’s always easier to fault other people than it is to fault yourself. As nice as blame-shifting is, having something stolen from you is also much worse than losing something in a few obvious ways. The tried-and-true method of retracing your steps will no longer work since you do not know whose steps to retrace. It’s harder to r

Why I Do Dumb Stuff All The Time

If you go to Uni, you’ve probably had the experience of seeing me do something stupid. You may have thought to yourself, “Why did he do that? Has he no shame?” In reverse order, the answers to those questions are: I have no shame, and I probably did it on a dare. It would take forever to list every development that led me to become the idiot I am today, but I will try to explain some of it in one post. I used to get annoyed at my little brother. Sometimes there would be real annoyances, like when we first shared a room. He refused to sleep unless a light was on, and he constantly asked me nonsensical questions like, “what are tigers for?” Other times I’d get very angry over small things he did. If he chewed with his mouth open, refused to blow his nose, or talked too loudly around me, it could send me into a screaming fit. I don’t know exactly why I had such issues with him. Maybe the small things he did annoyed me so much because my parents would let him get away with them while