Skip to main content

My Favorite Part of Winter


Late November is an exciting time for me. Not because of the approach of the holidays, but because of the beginning of winter running. (The excessive hype for Christmas is one of my least favorite parts of the year, but that’s not relevant here.) In my opinion, the winter is one of the best times to run. I realize most of you will disagree, and that’s fine. I only want to explain my view.
Before I even set foot outside, I have to prepare for the weather. I dig out my favorite running clothes just for this time of year: layers of long underwear, sweatshirts, sweatpants, hats, gloves, and—my favorite part—socks. Long wool socks and pom-pom hats are inexplicably exciting to me. Putting on every layer before going outside feels like preparing for a spacewalk or a deep-sea dive. When I have finally prepared, I feel like an explorer venturing into the great unknown.
In winter, I can run at any time of the day. Summer runs are restricted to the early morning and late evening when the heat is bearable. Winter runs are can take place in the middle of the day with the sun blazing overhead, and I won’t sweat a drop. With light overhead, it is easier to appreciate the wonders of being outside, from snow-covered trees to idiots in traffic. Finally, when I come home from the run, I immediately take off several layers and find a spot near a heater to stretch and relax. Coming inside to warm up after working in the cold is the most relaxing feeling in the world.
I look forward to doing much more running in the coming weeks without the burden of writing blog posts. Running is my favorite winter activity. If you think my opinion is wrong, that is understandable. Have a nice day.

Comments

  1. I'm not a fan of running, but I usually hate the hassle of having to layer up to step foot outside in the freezing cold. It was interesting to hear another opinion. Do you ever struggle with icy sidewalks as an obstacle to running? Stretching in front of the heater sounds AWEsome. I think your perspective on winter running is valid. One thing though: are you sure you're running hard enough if you never sweat a drop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went out on a run this weekend, and while I'm not sure it exactly counts as a winter run because it was only like 40 degrees outside, there was definitely a sort of satisfaction I felt until I started wheezing because of the cold air. Things went downhill from there. Cool post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the perfect time for running is when it is cold enough that you don't feel any pain until you get back into a warm area and you feel intense burning and itching. running is also always more enjoyable when the only inch of skin showing is your eyes and you have so many layers on you have to run like Frankenstein's monster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it harder to breathe when it's colder outside? I don't particularly like running, but I do think that running outside in the winter might be more bearable than running in the heat since you'll be frozen and numb so that you won't be able to really feel anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In general I like running in the winter more than summer as well. As you said you can pretty much run anytime since you don't have to avoid the scorching heat. The thing I hate though is when the sidewalks freeze over and it's impossible to run without constantly slipping and falling. I also really love the Christmas hype since it marks the beginning of winter break and the end of finals.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cough Syrup Man

           Last week I read Mariano’s blog post about how riding the bus was a terrible experience saved only by an amazing bus driver. I realized that my first experience had been nearly the opposite; it was an amazing time tarnished only by the bus driver. Maybe I’m being too harsh on the man, after all we barely noticed him most of the time and he was only human. I’ll let you judge him yourself.             For some context, this was when I was in 8 th grade in England. I had never ridden the bus before since I used to live close to my school. This new school was pretty far from my house so I had to take the public bus. Going to a new school in a foreign country was terrifying, but the other kids on the bus took me in. As we spent more time together, we became best friends. I would often dread school, but the bus ride there and the bus ride home were highlights of my day. We would sit either in the very back of the bus or on the top deck (yes they were double-decker buses) an

My Wonderful Weekend

           Most of you have probably had the experience of losing something important. Maybe it was your wallet, your phone, or your dad’s car keys. You went through all the stages: first the initial realization when your heart drops into your stomach, then the panic, and finally the frantic searching.             Perhaps fewer of you have had the experience of having something important stolen. In some ways, it is better to have something stolen. Instead of taking responsibility for your irresponsibility, you can pin all the blame on someone else. Your feelings of guilt and shame for having done something so stupid can turn into anger towards someone else. It’s always easier to fault other people than it is to fault yourself. As nice as blame-shifting is, having something stolen from you is also much worse than losing something in a few obvious ways. The tried-and-true method of retracing your steps will no longer work since you do not know whose steps to retrace. It’s harder to r

Why I Do Dumb Stuff All The Time

If you go to Uni, you’ve probably had the experience of seeing me do something stupid. You may have thought to yourself, “Why did he do that? Has he no shame?” In reverse order, the answers to those questions are: I have no shame, and I probably did it on a dare. It would take forever to list every development that led me to become the idiot I am today, but I will try to explain some of it in one post. I used to get annoyed at my little brother. Sometimes there would be real annoyances, like when we first shared a room. He refused to sleep unless a light was on, and he constantly asked me nonsensical questions like, “what are tigers for?” Other times I’d get very angry over small things he did. If he chewed with his mouth open, refused to blow his nose, or talked too loudly around me, it could send me into a screaming fit. I don’t know exactly why I had such issues with him. Maybe the small things he did annoyed me so much because my parents would let him get away with them while